How Does Hemp Seed Oil Benefit Our Skin?
If you're here, you are probably looking for effective skincare treatment. Well, you came to the right place!
Do you wish to look vibrant and younger with a smooth skin tone? Then you should try one of the best essential oils in your skincare regimen: Hemp seed oil. We wish to give you the best solution to your skin problems. We will be discussing the benefits of hemp seed oil on your skin.
What is hemp seed oil?
Hemp seed oil is extracted from the Cannabis sativa plant, which has dark green color, and when it gets processed, it becomes colorless. Hemp seed oil has a high level of fatty acids and antioxidants, which has made it one of the finest ingredients used in skincare products.
The polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) found in hemp seed oil have omega-3s and omega-6s, which have a perfect ratio of 3:1 for human tissue creation and the smooth operation of human body functions. Rich in omega-3s and omega-6s fatty acids, hemp seed oil helps in fighting health problems like inflammation and skin conditions (3). Hemp seed oil Is a popular antidote for Acne treatment or to helping our heart stay healthy.
Hemp oil and skin disorders
The fact that hemp oil is rich in omega-3 and omega-6, it can help contribute to treating many skin conditions.
- Acne: Acne is a form of skin condition where the pores get blocked by dirt, hair, or any other substance that causes itchiness, redness, and bumps on your skin. Dry skin can also lead to acne, which can be preventable through hemp seed oil. A study concluded that hemp oil seed has the potential to treat acne (4). Using hemp oil on the skin will prevent the glands from overproducing oils that cause acne.
- Eczema: Eczema is a skin condition that destroys the skin barrier system and makes your skin prone to damage and infection. It can cause dryness, itchiness, redness, and bumps. Using hemp oil on dry skin will keep your pores hydrated and prevent oil from getting clogged into the pores. Research done in 2005 stated that a 20-week trial of having a hemp oil dietary supplement improved the symptoms of eczema (5).
- Psoriasis: This is a severe skin disease that causes redness, inflammation, and itchiness on the scalp, knees, elbows, and trunk. A study in 2015 found that taking supplements containing omega-3 will help them treat psoriasis (6).
What are the benefits of hemp oil for the Skin?
Other than treating acne, eczema, and psoriasis, hemp seed oil can be good for:
- Moisturizing: Hemp seed oil is used to prevent dryness on the skin. Hemp seed oil has moisturizing properties that help the skin to be elastic and soft. With a plump and supple look, the emollient helps in keeping your complexion fresh and beautiful. Hemp seed oil repairs the natural barrier, which can keep the skin hydrated for a long time.
- Antidote for oily Skin: When the Skin is too dry that it threatens to break out, hemp seed oil is the best solution for it. Dry skin can cause an overproducing of oil in the skin glands that can lead to acne. Hemp seed oil will prevent the skin glands from producing excess oil by adding a barrier layer on the skin surface to lock the moisturizer in. It will prevent the oil from getting clogged in the pores and prevent acne as well.
- Smooth skin and complexion: Hemp seed oil has nutrients such as vitamin A, C, and E, which help the skin fight against environmental stressors. These nutrients are also the main ingredients for anti-aging, keeping the skin fresh and vibrant.
There are no known side effects of hemp seed oil. However, you can be allergic to the ingredient. Always watch out for symptoms like irritation, redness, itchiness, or burning. If any of these symptoms are experienced, discontinue using the oil immediately and consult a physician.
How to use hemp oil in your skincare routine
Due to hemp seed oil's anti-aging and anti-inflammation properties, it is being used in many cosmetic products. Its vital function to keep the skin hydrated has been so effective that it is being added into a daily skincare routine by many people.
Hemp seed oil works wonders for keeping acne under control. It is applied topically by applying it like a moisturizer. It can be used on the scalp and is good for nail cuticles too. Oil can treat dry skin by applying it to the dry area; keep it on for two minutes and wash it off with a mild cleanser. Hemp seed oil is also used in lip balms, hand creams, and other face oil for its moisturizing properties.
You can add hemp seed oil to your everyday salad to have a balanced diet. As hemp seed oil is highly volatile, it is recommended to keep it in a cold place and not heat it. It can be used in the replacement of olive oil. Eating salad rich in omega-3 and omega-6 will help you keep you stay fresh and young. It will also reduce inflammation in the body (9).
Many types of research have proven the benefits of hemp seed oil for the skin. Because it is rich in the perfect ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, it has proved to be one of the best herbal treatments for acne, eczema, and psoriasis. This oil has anti-aging properties along with antioxidants to keep your skin from harm's way. Hemp seed oil is truly a wonderful product that benefits our skin greatly.
5. Callaway J, Schwab U, Harvima I, Halonen P, Mykkänen O, Hyvönen P, et al. Efficacy of dietary hempseed oil in patients with atopic dermatitis. J Dermatolog Treat [Internet]. 2005 Apr [cited 2021 Oct 5];16(2). Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16019622/
8. Mikulcová V, Kašpárková V, Humpolíček P, Buňková L. Formulation, Characterization and Properties of Hemp Seed Oil and Its Emulsions. Molecules : A Journal of Synthetic Chemistry and Natural Product Chemistry [Internet]. 2017 May [cited 2021 Oct 5];22(5). Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6154611/
9. Kiecolt-Glaser JK, Belury MA, Andridge R, Malarkey WB, Glaser R. Omega-3 Supplementation Lowers Inflammation and Anxiety in Medical Students: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Brain Behav Immun. 2011 Nov;25(8):1725.